For the longest time, I'd been convinced my skin was definitely oily; I always have to blot at least once throughout the day, my pores are enlarged and I'm very acne-prone - that points to oily, right? But then, a friendly esthetician at 'Quality' Perfumery in Warsaw suggested my skin was definitely severely dehydrated and out-of-balance, which is why I was mostly getting breakouts on my cheeks. The diagnosis was then confirmed by my dermatologist here in WA, so I started a hunt for new skincare products to cater to my newly discovered skin condition.

If you'd like to learn more about the difference between dry and dehydrated skin and see whether your skin might be dehydrated too, I highly recommend you take a peek at
Beauty Mouth's blog, which explains everything far better than I could even attempt to. And don't forget to take part in her Clinics on Thursdays if you have any questions!

The first product I've tried to combat dehydration was
Reviva Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum ($22 for 1 0z./30ml). Hyaluronic acid has long been a favorite of many skincare brands, but I was interested in how this magic ingredient actually works. In fact, HA is the intercellular gel we humans all have in our skin that acts like a molecular sponge: it absorbs water from liquids we drink and then feeds the moisture to our cells. Applying HA topically helps the top layers of skin retain more moisture from the liquids we drink, not from moisture in the atmosphere, so it doesn't matter what climate you live in - it works anyway. Fascinating, huh? The Reviva Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum is a light clear gel that soaks into the skin instantly, leaving it refreshed, hydrated and glowing. What I like most about this product apart from its effectiveness, is that the serum feels like nothing on the skin; it doesn't leave any residue at all. For someone who constantly suffers from oilies, this is a major plus! The serum is both great on its own, layered under a moisturizer or an oil (read below) as well as under make-up.

I then turned to
Caudalie Vinosource Quenching Sorbet-Creme for Dehydrated and Sensitive Skin ($40 for 1.3 oz/40ml) as my hydrating moisturizer of choice. The Caudalie cream claims to 'restart internal hydrating mechanisms and restore water reserves' with grape seed polyphenols, organic grape water and fortifying and moisturizing Vinolevure. The product has a light, liquidy cream texture that absorbs quickly, but leaves a bit of a shiny/sticky residue on the skin. It's also very heavily perfumed, which is a bit counterproductive for a product aimed at sensitive skin. My biggest gripe with this Sorbet-Creme however is that I don't really think it provides any lasting hydration to the skin - so I wouldn't really recommend this one to be honest, despite many rave reviews around the blogosphere.

My last purchase was the
Clarins Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil for Dehydrated Skin ($50 for 1 oz./30ml), following a glowing recommendation from Beauty Mouth herself. I will admit that I was very skeptical; I've tried using face oils before with no noticeable results, and then I didn't exactly have the best experience with Clarins products in the past. This little bottle of golden goodness has me converted though. It's a lovely, light oil with 100% natural plant extracts and a mostly patchouli scent - patchouli oil is actually the second ingredient! Speaking of ingredients, the list here is short and sweet: hazel seed oil, patchouli oil, fragrance, sunflower seed oil, tocopheryl acetate, blue orchid extract and fragrance compounds from the essential oils. It comes with a handy dropper that lets you dispense the exact amount of the product, which is just 2 drops for my whole face and neck. I love applying it at nighttime: I warm it a bit in my hands and lightly press into the skin to wake up with a hydrated, soft skin in the morning. It gives a very spa-like feel and I've been enjoying using it as a part of my 'unwind' routine in the evening. Highly recommended!

Other than the products discussed above, my other tips would be to find a really good,
non-drying creamy cleanser (not foaming! Look out for the review of the cleanser I picked up recently), drink a lot of
water and
supplement with fish oil or flax oil/evening primrose oil. The supplements take about 3 months to kick in, so don't be discouraged! I also found that using a
room humidifier at night helps a lot too, and my husband's allergies have definitely benefited from it as well. Similarly to the humidifier, spritzing your face once in a while with a moisturizing water (I use
Mario Badescu's Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater) helps to relieve dehydration too.

I hope this post was helpful to some of you battling dehydrated skin, or at least you've had a little sneak peek into my skincare routine.
Have you ever suffered from dehydrated skin? What are your favorite products for hydration?Disclaimer: The Reviva Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum was provided to me for review consideration by Reviva Labs. I am not compensated to feature it on my blog nor am I affiliated with the brand. All other products featured were purchased by me with my own money. All opinions are my own and 100% honest, as always!
0 Yorumlar